6 Tips for a Fun & Easy Winter Kids Party with Reptiles Alive
Although Spring is just around the corner, winter is not quite finished yet. If your child has a birthday in the winter months, a Reptiles Alive party is a super-fun choice. Here are tips to help make your party a wild success!
1. Book your show as early as possible. Sometimes we are able to fit birthday shows in at the last minute, so contact us even if you party is the next day! However, the earlier you book with us, the more likely it is that your first choice of a date and time will be available in our schedule. You can easily book your Reptiles Alive show on our online booking page.
2. Plan your guest list. Smaller groups are usually more fun for the birthday person, guests, and parents, especially with young children. A general suggestion is to invite the child’s age + 2. For example, at a 4 year old’s party, 6 guests would be invited. And a winter party usually means an indoor party, another reason to keep the guest list short. Of course a small guest list is not always possible, so we offer reptile party shows for small groups and big groups too! See both options on our party page.
3. Anticipate the weather. In the Washington DC area, even a tiny amount of snow can cause complete gridlock which can stop both guests and our animals from getting to the party. At Reptiles Alive, we offer to refund or reschedule any show cancelled due to snow/ice. It is a good idea to keep up with the weather forecast for the day of your show. If snow/ice is predicted, consider rescheduling for another date.
4. Plan the menu. Is this a cake and ice cream only party, or will you also be serving lunch, dinner, or even breakfast? A great idea for a fun indoor activity is for guests to decorate their own cupcakes. Pre-bake or buy plain iced cupcakes and then set out a cupcake fixins bar. Since this is a reptile-themed party, edible reptile themed sprinkles and gummy worms (as snakes) can be offered along with other colorful fun toppings.
5. Plan fun indoor activities. Set up a big table as a coloring station with fresh crayons, plain white paper and reptile coloring pages printed from our kids page. Play indoor games that children already know and give the game a reptile twist. Examples include “pin the tongue on the snake” or “a snake egg hunt.” A whole list of fun activity ideas, craft projects, games, and more listed on our party ideas page.
6. Keep it simple. Most parties need only last 2 hours. Expect guests to arrive a bit late. An example of a typical cake & ice cream (no main meal being served) party would be:
1-1:30 pm Guest arrivals/Coloring table time/Easy game time
1:30-2:15 pm Reptiles Alive show
2:15-2:20 pm Wash Hands
2:20-2:45 pm Decorate cup cakes/Sing Happy Birthday/Eat cupcakes (or cake) and ice cream
2:45-3 pm Easy game/activity
3 pm Guests depart
Have a few easy backup games at the ready in case guests finish activities more quickly than expected. And if you are lucky enough to have a nice day and a fenced in backyard, send the kids outside to play.
You are always welcome to contact Reptiles Alive for more kids party ideas and information – we are happy to help in any way to make your party a sssssuper ssssucess!